Saturday, January 31, 2009

coccidiosis problem

Well I think I finally got my coccidiosis problem under control...I have everyone on Corid and it seems to be making a huge difference now...I had a broken blue mini rex doe that I didn't think would even make it through the night but today she is eating and drinking and acting just fine...I am going to do the Corid every 6 months from now on as a preventive measure...the Terramycin and the neomycin did not stop it...it seemed to only keep it at bay but then another bun would come down with it...I have killed every last mouse and keep the poison out there plus the cats...I hope the worst is now behind me...in all my research(which is ALOT!) I think that I had carriers of coccidiosis in my barn and so new bunnies that had never been exposed to it before caught it from them, carriers never actually come down with it....it is hitting the west coast really hard and also Ohio too...so I guess the trick is to treat all new animals as a preventive measure when they come in....or never buy a new animal which is highly unlikely...LOL ...I guess once a rabbit has it and gets cured it is immune but can still be a carrier...I am just so sick about the fact that I did not learn this until I had to loose my most prized rabbits...the Lionheads are the ones that took the brunt of it..then the Hollands and then the Mini Rex...I think that the lionheads had never been exposed before and that is why they went down so hard...of course it is impossible to know if a particular bunny has it unless you pay to have their dropping tested ...but what do you do??? Never buy a rabbit or go to a show??? I have been beating myself up so hard over this and I have finally come to the decision that I could not have possibly known and I need to get over it and just move on...

If I had known what I have learned now...I would have done things SOOO differently when bringing new bunnies into my barn....from now on I am going to quarantine and treat new bunnies with Corid and make sure they are not going to catch anything before I put them in my barn now that I know I have carriers...I just hope there is not some other "hidden" thing that might jump up and bite me....

No comments: